Office of the Chief Administrative Officer
Position Available: Audio Specialist
Vacancy Announcement Number: HRS-004-13
Office/Location: U.S. House of Representatives, Washington, D.C.
Closing Date: December 16, 2013
Salary Level/Range: $70,178
Proposed Starting Date: Immediate
The Office of the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) provides operations support services and business solutions to the community of 10,000 House Members, Officers and staff. The CAO organization comprises more than 600 technical and administrative staff working in a variety of areas, including information technology, finance, budget management, human resources, payroll, child care, food and vending, procurement, logistics and administrative counsel.
The incumbent serves as an Audio Specialist and is responsible for performing a full range of audio functions/operations for live and/or taped radio and television programming. These duties include knowledge of standard microphone setups and audio board configurations along with extensive editing and post production and recording using ProTools audio editing software applications. The incumbent will also be involved in scheduling fiber and satellite feeds.
The incumbent must follow and adhere to all applicable workplace policies, practices, and procedures, as well as provide professional level customer service and exercise sound judgement and discretion when dealing with House Members, staff, and the general public. The incumbent must prioritize his/her own work and often works independently on assigned projects. This position may include nights and some occasional weekends.
The position does not have day-to-day supervisory/managerial responsibilities.
1. Perform a full range of audio functions/operations for live and/or taped radio and television programming.
2. Operate all sound equipment including recorders, radio and television control room audio consoles and audio duplicators. Set sound levels, time recordings, perform edits, mix tracks, set up analog and digital recording and telephone and satellite transmissions.
3. Responsible for, and make minor adjustments to audio equipment; report all discrepancies and/or malfunctions to the Engineering Department or Production Operations Manager.
4. Work closely with Sub-Unit/Branch management and staff thereof on/to complete a wide variety of complex assignments and long-range planning efforts related to the mission of the Sub-Unit/Branch. Carry out and follow up on the completion of special projects and initiatives as assigned
5. Analyze internal operational problems and issues and prepare plans of action concerning the findings and/or results thereof. Report work progress and results to senior management on all aspects of the operation.
6. Keep apprised of day-to-day operations and keep appropriate management informed of ongoing activities as well as areas of concern.
7. Ensures compliance with internal CAO and HSS documentation formats and procedures to include lines of communication and document tracking/records management. Maintains adequate, understandable records management systems on a timely basis and in accordance with general standards. Retains records pursuant to the CAO Records Retention Policy and Schedule thereof.
8. Assist co-workers in utilizing internal practices and procedures to ensure performance is timely, responsive, and consistent with customer needs. Assist in training new employees as required.
9. Perform data entry, manipulate, and/or retrieve information and data from automated systems for assigned areas. Perform miscellaneous clerical and administrative support as needed.
Knowledge and understanding of radio and television audio operation including satellite broadcasting including an extensive knowledge of ProTools audio editing software.
- Ability to understand and apply workplace policies, practices, rules and established procedures, as well as exercise sound judgement and discretion.
- Understanding of and ability to establish and maintain administrative and quality control processes.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing as well as the ability to establish effective working relationships with senior staff and other high ranking officials.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential matters with tact, both personnel and operational, as well as the ability to exercise judgement and discretion. Demonstrable organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to successfully complete and apply applicable training, technical and otherwise.
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team or independently in an interdisciplinary customer service oriented work environment.
- Ability to meet minimum physical requirements (lifting, bending, crouching, standing, etc).
- Availability to work additional hours as required including nights and occasional weekends.
This is a RE-ADVERTISEMENT of HRS-003-13. Applicants that have previously applied DO NOT need to re-apply to this vacancy.
Qualified candidates please submit your resume online by clicking the “Apply for This Job” button. If you are unable to submit your resume online, please fax a cover letter and resume (reference announcement # HRS-004-13) to 202-226-7514. Hiring for this position is governed by the Veteran's Employment Opportunities Act. Applicants seeking veterans’ preference consideration should contact a CAO Human Resources representative at CAOHumanResources@mail.house.gov for further information. All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including marital or parental status), disability, or age. Title 1 of the Ethics in Government Act of 1978, as amended (5 U.S.C app§ 101 et seq.) requires certain House employees, to file Financial Disclosure Statements, for information please visit http://clerk.house.gov/public_disc/index.aspx.
Continued employment is contingent upon satisfactorily completing a criminal history records check (or other applicable security clearance) and a pre-employment drug-test (pre-identified position only).
Qualified candidates please submit your resume online by clicking the “Apply for This Job” button. If you are unable to submit your resume online, please fax a cover letter and resume (reference announcement # HRS-004-13) to 202-226-7514.
Hiring for this position is governed by the Veteran's Employment Opportunities Act. Applicants seeking veterans’ preference consideration should contact a CAO Human Resources representative at CAOHumanResources@mail.house.gov for further information.Apply for this job
All applicants will be considered without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex (including marital or parental status), disability, or age.
Title 1 of the Ethics in Government Act of 1978, as amended (5 U.S.C app§ 101 et seq.) requires certain House employees, to file Financial Disclosure Statements, for information please visit http://clerk.house.gov/public_disc/index.aspx.